Sunday, January 22, 2012

Funny Gracie

O.k, so I know I probably shouldn't laugh so hard at potty humor but Gracie makes me laugh almost daily with some joke or song about poop or toots.  We had to have a talk recently about talking about poop in public and set some guidelines around poop talk...like "we only talk about poop when we are in the bathroom, which has lead to loud exclamations of "NOW can I talk about poop, Mom?" from Gracie when we go into public restrooms.  Her latest attempts at  potty humor have been to change the words of songs she knows into potty words. The song that she has mostly recently been "revising' is "My favorite things" from The Sound of Music.  This has been her favorite bedtime song for at least the past 8 months and a few days ago it changed into something entirely different from "raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens".  Her lyrics go something like "poopsy's on tootsies and poopsy's on kittens" and ends with "And then I don't feel soooo GASSY!"  I can't help it...I laugh every time she sings it and she laughs even harder. I may be creating a monster.  I hope that this doesn't ruin The Sound of Music for any of you showtune loving family or friends.   Whenever she hears someone say "fart" she whispers "Mom, they said that 'f' word!...you know the one that Dad says that I shouldn't say at school.  Dad is in trouble Mom."  This is mostly funny to me because I hear her saying that her dad says the "f" word and I think at some point someone is going to ask Tracy why he says the "f' word in front of his daughter. 

The other topic that Gracie has been ruminating on is chocolate.  She LOVES chocolate and often talks about it and somehow it even comes up with any topic we are discussing.  Last year she said a prayer that Heavenly Father would make her veggies turn into chocolate.  This is how much she loves it and I think she and I agree that chocolate can cure almost any ailment.  A few days ago Gracie and I were talking about how we are all different and she told me how kids in her class at school and church have different colors of hair, eyes, skin, etc than her.  We talked about how our differences make us special and how we all have something different to share with each other and learn from each other.  Later that day she came to me and said "You know Mom, there are those families that love chocolate and there are those that don't!  We are the kind of family that loves chocolate, but some don't and that's o.k because we all like different things." She has said some variation of this at least 10 times this weekend and for some reason and each time I see the wheels turning in her mind and her struggle to understand why and how someone could dislike chocolate.  Tonight we had chocolate cake for dessert and afterwards Gracie made a similar statement.  Following this Tracy brought his piece of cake to Gracie and I and said "You guys can finish this, I am not really a chocolate person."  To which Gracie gasped, looked at me shocked and appalled and said "That is not a good choice Dad!"  We will keep working on the "We are all different and that is awesome"  lesson.  I think when it comes to chocolate it is just too hard for her to understand how anyone wouldn't like it.  I admit it, I don't understand it either :)

Today was Gracie's first primary talk.  It was all I could to not to laugh throughout the whole thing.  She was very brave to get up there in front of all the other kids and talk into the microphone.  Her topic was something like "Heavenly Father's plan is a blessing for me" and it was about the plan of salvation and our free agency.  She whispered into the microphone as she talked about the plan and started sharing "good choices" we can make so that we can live with Heavenly Father again one day.  Then she shared my favorite part when she yelled "My friend Makaya cut her lip and I gave her a hug and a kiss and it was a good choice!  Hugs are good choices".  She had drawn a picture of herself hugging her friend Makaya and it was complete with a big red bloody lip on her friends face :) 

1 comment:

Mandie said...

Hilarious, I love and MISS that girl! Can't wait to see the pic of Kaya's bloody lip!